Website HIL Applied Medical
About HIL Applied Medical:
HIL Applied Medical is a fast-growing, VC-backed, MedTech startup.
We aim to make proton beam therapy affordable for every hospital and accessible to every patient.
Proton beam therapy is widely recognized as one the most advanced, focused and precise form of radiotherapy for treating cancer. Affordable systems are key to widespread adoption of this important therapy, and an enabler of a $30+ billion per annum market.
We are always looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team; to fulfill our mission we need the best scientists and engineers – from around the world, who want to change the world.
Description of the Position:
The particle beam group leader is responsible to develop a beam transport system that will deliver the charged particles from the accelerator to the patient/tumor. He/She is a hands-on, multidisciplinary scientist with a demonstrated background in particle beamline science. Building on HIL’s existing personnel and industry collaborations, he/she will establish and lead a dedicated team of scientists that will develop novel concepts of particle beam transport to correspond with the unique properties of laser-plasma particle accelerator. S/he works with a high level of autonomy, developing and executing workplans, constructing experimental setups, proposing novel conceptual designs and working with external consultants & suppliers on implementation and manufacturing of the beam line. S/he is expected to be knowledgeable of the relevant scientific literature and to follow the progress of the scientific community in the relevant field.
· Overall leadership and management of all R&D activities related to particle beam transport. Expand and lead dedicated R&D team.
· Developing and executing multi-year workplans, budgets, hiring and personnel development for the team under his/her leadership.
· Work with third parties – in industry, academia, and others – to design and manufacture prototype beamlines to meet HIL’s system requirements.
· Explore novel and exotic concepts in particle beam delivery with an emphasis on pulsed magnetic systems and
· Lead the design and conduction of proof of concept experiments related to magnetic beam delivery systems.
· Lead the purchase, installation and commissioning of necessary lab equipment.
· Provide leadership selecting core technologies for the company’s product under development.
· Identify patentable subject matter within the company’s R&D output. Work with company’s IP counsels to expand IP portfolio.
· Report directly to CTO and CEO. Work closely with leaders of the proton acceleration R&D team, finance and operations. Perform managerial and other
duties as necessary.
· PhD in physics; or an equivalent degree.
· Minimum 3 years industry experience; or an equivalent background as a post-doc or similar position.
· Proven team-building and leading capabilities.
· Demonstrated expertise in charged particle optics and particle beamline design.
· Experience in proton beam line design – strong advantage.
· Experience in medical applications of proton radiotherapy – strong advantage.
· Experience partnering with external suppliers for the development of new processes and technologies, as demonstrated with commercialized products –
· Hands on lab research experience related to magnetic fields or pulsed high voltage systems – advantage.
· A strong desire to work in a challenging, dynamic startup environment; be part of an international team; live at the bleeding edge of technology – where
the risks are big and the rewards are even bigger – for the betterment of the human condition.
· Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills are required (English).
· Strong ability and desire to coach and train team members under his/her leadership.
· Must have a sense of ownership and a desire to drive a project from inception to full production.
· Scientific curiosity & creativity.
· Estimated 10-15%.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com